On 17th May 1853 a group of farmers and businessmen from the area around Warrnambool and Port Fairy met at The Travellers’ Rest Inn at Woodford to form the Villiers and Heytesbury Agricultural Association. Although the association split into separate Port Fairy and Warrnambool agricultural societies in the early 1860s and then changed its name to the Warrnambool Agricultural and Pastoral Society in 1910 and to the Warrnambool Agricultural Society in 1911, it has a continuous history since its formation.
The society held its first show in April 1854 and it has held at least one show every year since. The society has been through good times and bad times, largely reflecting the rises and falls in the local rural economy. On each occasion the hard work and dedication of the committee and members has enabled it to surmount the challenge and progress to new heights.
Few people realise the enormous amount of work that goes into running a show of this size.
For twelve months every year hundreds of people from country to town-committee members, stewards, volunteers and members of affiliated clubs and societies-work to make the three days of the show a momentous event.
The success of the Warrnambool Show over 157 years is testimony to the success of their efforts.
Available from the Warrnambool Agricultural Societies office for $5.00.
Office is open by appointment, please ring the secretary on 0424 471 803
Location Address: Corner Hyland & Koroit Streets, Warrnambool, Vic., 3280
P: 5562 4644